New planners, great stationery, even my ink pen obsession helps me create awesome (at times massive) to do lists. No matter how cute, these lists, at times would be overwhelming. Even when I wouldn't admit it.
I wear a lot of big hats, which require a great deal of my attention. Where I wasn't paying much attention was to me. My self-care was lacking. Yeah, my hair and nails were cute, but with all the joy I displayed, I wasn't attentive to my needs, which kept me from presenting my best self to the world. I knew something had to change when my caffeine rush from Starbucks refreshers pushed me into high blood pressure meds. I love me some Starbucks, so I had to make some major adjustments if I wanted to enjoy the gift of life more abundantly and Starbucks from time to time (shhh....).
So what did I do you ask?
1) Prayed - repented for taking the days given to me for granted, not counting them as precious, but also not living at my best. Then asked for the wisdom on how to proceed.
2) New planner - that suited my entire life, not just business or just life, but all the facets of who I am. The Day Designer is my planner of choice. The Heart Goals section is what sold me.
3) Move more - I rely on my Activity function on my Apple Watch to encourage me to stay active, as well as keep my heart rate and blood pressure at normal healthy levels.
4) Eat better - this has been a fun and enlightening experience. I'm learning more about myself through my taste buds. Having more fruits and veggies with less meat has been life-changing.
5) A huge contributor, only second to my relationship with God, is feeding my mind. Books! Yes, reading truly is FUNdamental. Three books that have changed the trajectory of my life thus far are:
a. The Four Agreements
b. The War of Art
c. Present over Perfect
The Four Agreements - life overall perspective shift.
1 - Be Impeccable With Your Word
2 - Don't Take Anything Personally
3 - Don't Make Assumptions
4 - Always Do Your Best
The War of Art - to strengthen your focus and hone in on your craft this book is the GOAT for moving from amateur to Pro.
Present over Perfect - Is the book to seal the deal on it all. Slow down and dig within to find the source of what was keeping you from what you needed prior to reading the first two book recommendations.
Less is more is so fitting here. I slowed down, took inventory of my life, stopped multi-tasking when I can and got laser focused on what matters most in each moment. No matter if it's a staff/business meeting or dinner and a movie night with my kids, I want to give it my best. Being present is the only way to do that.
When I sat down to write this blog post I knew I was heading down a new journey of growth which meets us all with new challenges, but with an exceptional reward. The following quote was born out of this day of awakening... "Your inner workings determine your outer winnings."
May your journey meet you with inspiring change.